Pain, lumbago, constant heaviness, are you familiar with such sensations in the back?
Harmless pulling pain is often a sign of a dangerous illness. In the article, we will analyze all the causes of the disease.
1. Diseases of the spine and pelvic bones.
- Osteochondrosis (damage to intervertebral discs (protrusion, disc herniation);
- Spondylitis (an inflammatory disease of the spine);
- Spondyloarthrosis (arthrosis of the intervertebral joints);
- Spondylosis (bone growth);
- Spondyloarthritis (inflammation in the intervertebral joints);
- Myositis (inflammation in the muscles);
- Osteoprosis (decreased bone density) with compression fractures of the vertebrae and other bone structures;
- Injury of the spine and pelvic bones (fractures, cracks);
- Sacroiliitis (inflammation in the sacroiliac joints);
- Tumors of bone structures and soft tissues.
2. Reflected pain in the lumbar spine,associated with diseases of the abdominal and pelvic organs (inflammatory diseases and tumors), this pain is often accompanied by abdominal pain.
The nature of the painmay be different:
- Acute is pain that occurs quickly, suddenly;
- Chronic - pain for more than 2 months, occurs with the progression of diseases of the spine;
- With inflammatory pathologies of the genitourinary system, abdominal organs (with chronic gastritis, pancreatitis, cholecystitis, enterocolitis).
From discomfort to severe pain.
In case of acute and intense abdominal pain radiating to the lumbar spine, it is always necessary to exclude surgical pathology that requires urgent surgical intervention (gastrointestinal bleeding, appendicitis, peritonitis, etc. ).
Intense pain in the lumbar spine
It can be reflex (muscle spasm caused by irritation of receptors in the paravertebral muscles). It hurts a person to cough, sneeze, all movements are accompanied by pain. When the nerve root is compressed (disc protrusion, disc herniation), the pain spreads to the lower extremities, often from one side.
It is caused by irritation of pain receptors in muscles and fascia. Triggers (pain nodes) are formed in the muscles, pain syndrome is chronic, often recurrent.
Any trauma to soft tissues or bone structures is also accompanied by intense pain.
When to see a doctor: Any case of pain in the lumbar spine requires a visit to a doctor to help identify the cause of the pain and take action.
Pain in men, women
With diseases of the reproductive system, pain syndrome differs in males and females.
For men with prostate pathology, a pulling, aching pain is characteristic, often accompanied by a violation of urination. In women, the symptom is often acute, pronounced. With ovarian apoplexy or ectopic pregnancy, the pain is unbearable. Usually the syndrome is more intense on the affected side.
With endometriosis, uterine myoma - aching sensations, pulling. If the pain is associated with pathology of the spine, the intensity of pain does not depend on gender. It is noticed that men go to the doctor later.
Examination by specialists
- a general blood test (to exclude the inflammatory process, the level of leukocytes, ESR), the exclusion of anemia (hemoglobin level);
- general urine analysis: exclusion of the inflammatory process in the bladder, kidneys (bacteria, leukocytes, erythrocytes);
- analysis of feces for occult blood;
- blood biochemistry: rheumatological tests to exclude systemic inflammation (CRP, RF, uric acid), liver function assessment (alt ast bilirubin), renal function assessment (creatinine urea), pancreatic function (amylase), etc.
Instrumental research methods
- radiography of the lumbar spine and pelvic bones; plain radiography of the abdominal cavity (excluding intestinal obstruction);
- Ultrasound of the abdominal and pelvic organs;
- MRI (CT) of the lumbar spine, MRI (CT) of the lumbar with contrast;
- MRI (CT) of the abdominal cavity and small pelvis, MRI (CT) of the abdominal cavity and small pelvis with contrast.
When a tumor is detected, depending on the location and nature of the tumor, the tactics of treatment, surgery, or others are determined (observation and treatment in a neurosurgical, surgical hospital, oncological dispensary).
Diseases of the spine (more often within the framework of osteochondrosis):
- muscle relaxants;
- opioid analgesics;
- diuretic drugs;
- vascular drugs;
- antibacterial drugs;
- medical and medical blockade with novocaine, lidocaine and diprospan.
Mainly used in the treatment of diseases of the spine:
- physiotherapy (magnetic laser, magnetotherapy, CMT with novocaine, etc. );
- hardware traction of the lumbar spine;
- manual therapy;
- balneotherapy (mud applications, ozokerite);
- Exercise therapy.
Prevention for diseases of the spine (within the framework of osteochondrosis) all of the above methods (except for physiotherapy).
Prevention of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: diet, diet, work and rest.
If you have lumbar pain, go to the clinic.
The hospital has all the specialists and all the diagnostic methods presented in this article. There are also inpatient departments: a gastroenterological department and a city vertebrological center. All methods of treatment are used, except for surgery. You can be monitored, examined and treated on an outpatient basis, that is, outside the hospital.