One of the most common joint diseases is arthrosis. This disease mainly affects the elderly.
What is knee osteoarthritis?
Arthrosis is a degenerative disease of the joints, which is associated with the gradual destruction of cartilage inside the joint. The patient experiences severe pain in the joints, mobility is limited. Such people find it difficult to move around and find it difficult to perform standard household chores. When the cartilage wears away, the joint loses its ability to move.
The main symptom is pain during certain activities:
- When walking up stairs.
- When lifting loads.
- While squatting.
- If you suddenly stop after a long walk.
The pain may worsen at bedtime, and swelling of the knee occurs at night. There may also be a buildup of fluid in the joint.
Treatment at home
The consequence of complex treatment of arthrosis should be a permanent remission. Complex therapy of arthrosis combines treatment with therapeutic exercises and physiotherapy.
The goal of arthrosis treatment is to eliminate the pain syndrome, and then the subsequent activation of cartilage tissue regeneration. During this period, medicines containing chondroitin and glucosamine in their composition will be very helpful. These medicines can be used in the form of tablets, ointments, sprays. The duration of treatment can take a very long time, up to one year.
During exercise, movements are made that do not damage cartilage tissue, but help to recover.
All of the above helps only in the first stage of arthrosis. In the second and third stages, surgical intervention is required.
Medical treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee joint at home includes:
- Painkillers. Medicines for pain relief: tablets, ointments, sprays. Anesthetic tablets can also be used.
- Medications that relax muscles. Drugs that promote muscle relaxation reduce spasms.
- Chondroprotectors - "cartilage protectors". These medicines are the basis for the treatment of arthrosis.
All medicines must be prescribed by a doctor, you should not take them without a prescription, they all have contraindications.
Exercises should be chosen by an orthopedist, who will build on the specifics of the disease. The most effective exercises for arthrosis:
- Lie on your back, straighten your legs and relax. Exercise relieves stress, strengthens the pelvic muscles. Increases blood flow to the knee joint.
- Lie on your back, raise your legs perpendicular to your body, and press firmly into the floor. Move your legs in the air, imitating cycling.
- Lie on your stomach, alternately turn your knees. This exercise strengthens the muscles of the legs, activating the metabolic processes in the knee joints.
- A person sits on a chair and raises his legs parallel to the floor. Thus, the blood rises to the knees, improving tissue regeneration in the joints.
A positive result from the above exercises will be if you do them regularly. Preferably daily for 15 minutes, alternating with massage, physiotherapy.
In order to be able to engage in various sports, running, walking, it is better to use an orthopedic knee brace, which reduces the load on the knee joint, treats arthrosis - heats it up, has a magnetic pad that enhances blood circulation. This is a necessary purchase for arthrosis of the knee joint.
For any arthrosis, you need to change your lifestyle and diet. For the treatment to be effective, sugar, alcoholic beverages, spicy and fatty foods, chemical additives must be excluded from the menu. It is not advisable to starve, so as not to impair the supply of food to the joint cells.
Folk methods of treatment
The most common folk remedies for the treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint:
- Applying chalk and kefir. It is necessary to make these components a homogeneous mass, which is applied and fixed to the knee overnight.
- Applying oatmeal - prepare oatmeal and apply to the leg at night.
- A decoction of strawberries. In this case, strawberry leaves are used, preferably in dried form. First of all, you should chop the leaves. Then pour them into boiling water and cook for 20 minutes. It is advisable to take this remedy throughout the day, instead of water.
- Hop. Take 2 tablespoons of hops and mix them with 50 g of vegetable oil. Use as a compress.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of mustard, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, boil it all (at least 5 minutes), and apply to the affected joints for two hours.
- A good anesthesia is a tincture of agave leaves and alcohol in a ratio of 1: 10. Infuse this mixture for a month in the refrigerator. Use 20-30 drops, morning, afternoon and evening.
- Burdock has proven itself very well among other plants in the treatment of arthrosis. Take 6 freshly plucked burdock leaves, velvety side down. Top with a heavy bowl of boiled water. After 30 minutes, the leaves can be used. The affected area is smeared with vegetable oil and burdock leaves are applied to it and wrapped in foil.
- The use of dandelionsFreshly picked dandelion flowers should be rinsed with cold water and chewed, regardless of their unpleasant taste. At least 4 flowers should be eaten per day. Dried dandelion leaves can also be used as food.
- You can apply a compress with sea salt to the sore knee. If the salt is over at the right time, you can replace it with ordinary sand, which is heated and wrapped in a towel before use. This tool helps fight swelling.
Use of horseradish
Horseradish leaves and roots are rich in vitamins, natural phytoncides, minerals and essential oils. So, how to treat arthrosis with horseradish:
- Cut and boil the root. The resulting suspension is applied to gauze and fixed on the knee. Put the fabric on top and leave the compression for half an hour. You can do this every day.
- Horseradish and apple cider vinegar, mix in equal proportions, add a little linseed oil and apply to the sore joint. Cover with cellophane and hold for 30 minutes. Repeat the procedure every other day.
- Fry the horseradish, and then mix it with the same amount of yogurt. Apply the resulting mass to the problem area and cover with cling film. Hold for 30-40 minutes and then rinse with warm water. To achieve the maximum result, you need to carry out at least 7 procedures.