Modern statistics claim that almost the entire population of the country often has lower back pain, but not everyone is in a hurry to start treatment. Sometimes discomfort and even pain can occur after sitting in an uncomfortable position. Although in this case it is more likely not an alarm signal, but simply a consequence of the incorrect position of the spine.
Many people forget how important physical activity is. If you do not give the necessary load on the spine, and on the whole body, there is a violation of blood supply in the lower back. And then with a sharp load, severe pain begins.
But if pain accompanies a person almost all the time, then most likely there are reasons for this. And you should consult with a specialist who will conduct examinations and prescribe the right treatment.
Why does the lower back hurt
Pain in the lower back can be of a completely different nature: pulling, cutting, aching, shooting, stabbing, aching or burning sensation. Sometimes the nature of the pain already suggests the nature of the disease.
Back pain is different. It is important to understand the sources and causes of pain, as well as to begin treatment of the disease.
However, even the most highly specialized specialist will not be able to immediately find out the causes of the disease. Therefore, you should immediately consult a doctor, because it is he who will be able to determine the real causes of the problems and prescribe the necessary treatment. Doctors divide lower back diseases into three large groups:
- back diseases;
- diseases of internal organs;
- radiating pain.
Back diseases include many variants: degenerative, inflammatory and traumatic diseases of the spine. Before the doctor prescribes treatment, he necessarily conducts a complete examination, since the causes of pain are in the dozens. In medicine, pain syndromes affecting the lumbar region are divided into primary and secondary.
Primary low back pain syndrome is the cause of musculoskeletal changes of a morphofunctional nature. As a result, the back hurts. All parts of the spine are constantly undergoing degenerative-dystrophic changes:
- osteochondrosis - damage to bone and cartilage tissues, which causes damage to the intervertebral disc and adjacent vertebrae, which leads to spondylosis;
- protrusion (herniated disc) - a process during which the intervertebral disc swells without rupture of the fibrous ring, does not manifest itself for a long time.
The secondary syndrome serves as a kind of signal that there are serious problems in the body. With a secondary syndrome, the causes of lower back pain are much more:
- curvature of the spine - scoliosis;
- inflammation with a non-infectious nature;
- spinal fracture;
- tumor on the vertebrae, in the retroperitoneal space, in the spinal cord;
- infectious diseases affecting the vertebrae and intervertebral discs (with tuberculosis, brucellosis, epidural abscess, etc. );
- the state of a stroke in violation of the blood supply to the spinal cord and there is a feeling that the lower back hurts;
- diseases in the gastrointestinal tract;
- often back pain is reflected in nature, i. e. , the pelvic organs are affected by some disease (renal colic or venereal disease).
Diseases of the internal organs
It often happens that the lower back hurts not because of back problems, but because of the reflection of the pain sensations of the organs from the depths. In most cases, pain comes from the pelvic organs: pancreas, kidneys, colon, tumor behind the peritoneum. The causes of pain are so diverse that only a good specialist can identify the disease in time and prescribe the right treatment.
Causes of acute lower back pain
There are many causes of back pain, but all of them are related to the spine. The most harmless cause is most often an acute muscle strain. It is these muscles that are a bright source of pain, they limit the movement of a person. Athletes and people with serious physical exertion are most often affected by this disease.
One common but harmless cause of back pain is hypothermia. Most often, girls who wear skirts and trousers with a low waist are defeated, that is, the lower back remains open on the street. Contrary to popular belief, you can "cold" your lower back not only in winter, but also in summer.
In addition, quite often the lower back can hurt even many years after a spinal injury.
Causes of back pain due to diseases of the internal organs:
- when finding a stomach or duodenal ulcer on the back of the grid;
- acute pancreatitis leads to girdle pain, its cause is an error in the diet;
- renal colic in urolithiasis is characterized by a disorder of urination;
- diseases of the female genital organs (fibroids or endometriosis) disturb girls before menstruation and in its first days;
- when acute appendicitis is located behind the caecum or behind the peritoneum.
- prostatitis or malignancy of the prostate, resulting in lower back pain in men.
Diseases of the hip joint or sacrococcygeal segment lead to severe pain in the lower back. Pain in the lumbosacral region is called lumbodynia, and in the hip region it is called lumboischialgia. Radiating pain is difficult to localize because it mimics lumbago or sciatica. Therefore, treatment must be started urgently.
In addition to physiological causes, psychological causes of back pain are also identified. It is believed that this may be because a person takes on too much task and responsibility, but does not get support from loved ones. In addition, low back pain can occur when a person does not feel secure. Also, the reasons may be of a sexual nature (resentment, dissatisfaction, insult, refusal to have sex). Therefore, it may be necessary to undergo treatment with a psychologist.
How to avoid back pain
In some cases, the following tips will help to avoid pain, and in some cases, they can significantly reduce chronic lumbar discomfort.
- Move more and sit less, and if you sit down, then follow the correct position of the back.
- If you are sitting for a long time, take a break every 45 to 60 minutes for a little exercise.
- Either do not lift heavy things at all or do it correctly: bend your legs, hold the load on outstretched arms, straighten your legs evenly.
- The abdominal muscles need to be kept in good shape.
- Every day you need to do special exercises to strengthen the spine and its muscles.
Lower back pain is a rather alarming symptom, indicating that the causes can be very deep and may require urgent treatment.
It may seem that the matter is one thing, but in reality everything is completely different. Therefore, you can not self-medicate, but immediately go to the doctor, who will indicate the appropriate treatment. It is best to identify the causes of pain at an early stage, until everything has acquired a neglected state with all sorts of complications.